[arin-ppml] Incorrect POC on resource records

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Sep 29 10:11:17 EDT 2012

> Small problem. I'm not making any judgements, just stating facts.
> Legacy addresses have value. Many believe that they are property.
> There is law around abandoned property. ARIN has a responsibility to
> make sure that this does not happen. Think of it like the equivalent
> to a bank deposit. Banks have a responsibility to insure the safety of
> your assets and so does ARIN. It's called stewardship. ARIN has a
> responsibility to re-unite legacy block owners with their block or
> ASN, not the other way around. And if they can't, then the State will
> be the final arbiter.

This includes an assumption that the belief that such blocks are property is valid.

The fact that there are people who (incorrectly) believe that does not make it so.

ARIN has consistently held the position that they are not property.

IMHO, ARIN has a responsibility to reclaim addresses which are truly not in use. However, detecting such addresses is rather difficult and things are definitely murky in the case of legacy blocks without a contract. As such, caution is prudent.

In any case, the days of readily available IPv4 addresses are coming to a close and it is time to move on to IPv6. Fortunately, there are no legacy registrations in IPv6.

Owen