[arin-ppml] Regarding unauthorized changes (Re: Policy question)

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Thu Sep 20 23:33:23 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Steven Noble <snoble at sonn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 20, 2012, at 7:39 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For example, if an organization fires their employee who is also their
>> Administrative POC, but ARIN is not informed.    The former
>> administrative POC is no longer authorized within the organization to
>> make changes.
>>
>> If that person,  still listed as a POC for the resource, comes to
>> ARIN,   and requests unauthorized changes,  such as a change of
>> address,  or deletion of  other contacts, and they are executed,
>> because ARIN was never informed that the contact is no longer
>> authorized.....
>>

>> Will ARIN revert those changes, and replace the Admin POC with the new
>> one,  when provided a suitable attestation by the officers of the
>> organization?
>
> If said employee was to do that they would probably be in violation of quite a few laws. I suspect it would not be an issue to get enough proof to show ARIN that it happened.
>
>> If not, perhaps the policy in place is  not really adequate....
>
> There are two (or more) ways to do things. The easy way: ask said fired person to revert it for you, and the hard way: involve the law, which is probably happening anyway.

My biggest gripe is that rather than having a process in which ARIN
can investigate and media these issues, they insist that I spend 5 to
6 figures dragging the situation through the courts. ARIN should be
*serving* its members. Yes, some liability could become involved. This
is the nature of business.

--
Jeffrey A. Lyon, CISSP
President, Black Lotus Communications