[arin-ppml] quantitative study of IPv4 address market

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Sep 6 20:40:51 EDT 2012

On 9/6/2012 6:56 PM, Steven Ryerse wrote:
> I think most organizations hope that they can replace their non-IPv6 equipment at the normal time and cycle that they normally replace their equipment.  As an example, most of my customers replace their servers in 3 or 4 or 5 year cycles.  Certainly they would prefer not to have to pay out money to replace a server before the normal cycles that they budget for.  This is not only human nature but normal business planning.

you have hit upon the arin board's motives for the following
declaration, which was also sent by registered mail to every arin member:

https://www.arin.net/announcements/2007/20070521.html

and you have understood precisely why it was issued five years or so
ago, rather than waiting for exhaustion.

paul