[arin-ppml] quantitative study of IPv4 address market

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Sep 4 12:02:54 EDT 2012

On 9/4/12 10:19 CDT, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

If I'm not mistaken the proposal removes the 3 month and returns to a 12
month needs assessment after the RIPE free pool is exhausted, because of
various dependencies on that policy, like their transfer policy and LIR
assignments to end-users.  ARiN's polices are structured differently and
don't have the same dependencies.  Our equilivant to RIPE's soft landing
policy originally excluded transfers to begin with, and end user
assignments have by ISPs have their own separate language.

ARIN has chose a different way to handle run out than APNIC and RIPE,
they both have fairly equilivant last /8 policies.  We ARIN chose to go
a different way with we are essentially treating the 3/4 or the last /8
the same way as the rest of our resources, without something like the
last /8 policies that APNIC and RIPE have I'm comfortable maintaining
the 3 month window.  The reality is that APNIC still has a free pool,
they are just handing it out on completely different rules, we choose
not to go that route.

Honestly, I think it is to late to change the way we are going to run
out now, we should stick with the plan, now one know which way is right
or wrong.  Honestly if it was totally up to me I would have done things
a little differently.  But, I'm comfortable with the plan as we have it,
everyone just needs to hold on for the ride.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952