[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-183 Section 8.4 Transfer enhancement

Michael Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Tue Oct 30 13:47:51 EDT 2012

Hi Ron,

I don't really see the danger.
If we have to address hoarding wrt 8.4, we will be doing the same with 8.3.
And if you would be in support of an "8.5" now, so as to keep these things
separate, we could always add it then.

But why risk Whois integrity now over this potential future problem?

That said, I wouldn't mind if it were a separate 8.5 section.

Regards,

Mike

The proposal states two goals: to
- Correct inconsistent language in 8.4 eg "IPv4 Address" v. "IPv4 Number
Resource(s)"

which is a trivial change that I'm sure we'd all agree with, and to

- Allow the transfer of ASNs between RIRs

which, oddly, I am ALSO in favour of. If we allow it "intra" we should
allow it "inter".

I just don't think we should muddy the IPv4 transfer process with them.
Speculation and hoarding? Exactly! These ARE things we should be worried
about wrt IPv4 addresses, but NOT wrt ASNs. So if we start discussing
change to 8.4 to address hoarding issues, we shouldn't have to also
discuss making exceptions for ASNs, or complicating the language by
having to twist ourselves around it. I'll give long odds that we'll be
modifying 8.4 again and again over the years, and can you imagine the
extra work because of the one phrase: " and ASNs"?

If inter-RIR transfer of ASNs is a worthy goal, surely it deserves it's
own process, not just tacked onto the IPv4 process....?

--
Ron Grant                                Managed DSL/T1/Wireless/Fibre
Skyway West Business Internet          Internet and Private Networking

Sales, Support and Billing    http://www.skywaywest.com/contact-us.htm