[arin-ppml] POC privacy

Andrew Koch andrew.koch at gawul.net
Fri Oct 26 11:10:01 EDT 2012

Yesterday during the open mic at the policy meeting, Mike Joseph of
Google had planted an idea of making Admin and Tech contacts private.

Rather than being able to move all Admin and Tech contacts to being
private, I would be in favor of requiring one public POC of each type
be visible.  However,  additional POCs of those types could be marked
private.

This would provide for the ability to move all but a select
representative or role account to receive communications into a
private status.  These private POCs could continue to manage
resources.  It also balances the concern that POCs may receive a large
bit of unwanted communications and the need to contact them.

As I think about this a bit further, creating a role POC and then
being able to link multiple ARIN Online accounts to that role POC is
already available.  This would meet the ability to manage resources,
but not place personal details in the public database.  So, I think
further information on the drivers of this are needed.

In some after-meeting discussions, another thought that was brought
forward was moving the ability to view certain POC data to a
restricted system.  For example, in public whois, the resource would
link to a POC name, but the details (name, phone, email) would be only
accessible after logging into ARIN Online, or using REST with an API
key.

Regards,
Andrew Koch