[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-7: Reassignments for Third Party Internet Access (TPIA) over Cable

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 19 10:33:44 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it make the policy more acceptable for those that really
> believe that the CRTC can (and should, and will) change the regs
> in such ways to ensure the incumbents not "game the system"
> (the CRTC regs and ARIN), and to still enable competition now,
> to add in a sunset date on this policy?

It wouldn't make it acceptable but it might move it out of the
"outrageously offensive" category.

> Given the time it takes
> for (most) Government agencies to enact new regs, I suspect
> that date will need to be a number of years.

Respectfully, I don't think that's the appropriate standard. The
incumbents confessed that this is a technology matter, not a
regulatory one. Their software allegedly suffers an architectural
fault that compels massively wasteful use of IP addresses when paired
with small ISPs (TPIAs) as customers.

We should identify a period of time which it would reasonably take for
the incumbent cable providers to requisition and deploy revised
software. Then we should cut it in half and give the BoT the option to
extend it to the full term if they determine that the incumbents are
acting in good faith to redress the problem.

Beyond that, if the incumbent cable providers wish to thwart the
intentions of the CRTC, that is a matter properly addressed between
them. It isn't ARIN's job to create competition in the Canadian cable
market. Any role ARIN plays in this situation should be limited to
providing a temporary bridge for what has been alleged to be an
accidental misimplementation of technology. And doing what we're
tasked to do: assure efficient utilization of the increasingly scarce
IPv4 resource.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004