[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2012-6: Revising Section 4.4 C/I Reserved Pool Size

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 18 23:28:22 EDT 2012

On Oct 18, 2012, at 10:58 PM, Christopher Morrow <christopher.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:

> i'm not sure there's a simple/explanable way to get to a /14 ... TODAY
> there are 1900, but ICANN re-opens requests in a few months right?
> then there will be 'more', no idea how many.
>
> if pushed, I could say 'sure, 14 seems ok', but really I don't feel
> comfortable with 16, nor 15, nor 14...

To confirm staff understanding, excess space in the expanded C/I reserved
pool might end up being utilized at some point in the future to meet
requirements for new types of critical infrastructure yet unforeseen
today, correct?

For example, if the LISP folks or RPKI folks were to need servers deployed
Internet-wide with IPv4 addresses to serve a new community-accepted critical
infrastructure need, this expanded C/I pool is all we'll have to meet such
requirements once the IPv4 free pool is depleted next year (i.e. sizing it
primarily based on anticipated new gTLD requirements presumes IPv4 gets
phased out before we discover any new critical infrastructure requirements.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO