[arin-ppml] ASN Transfer Completed

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Oct 4 11:59:01 EDT 2012

I noticed from the following that an ASN transfer has been completed,
specifically AS3943;

https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/transfers_8_3.html

This is a significant milestone. However, looking at the associated
Whois record, I'm confused by a couple issues and have a some questions;

http://whois.arin.net/rest/asn/AS3943/pft

A. The registration date is listed as 2001-05-18; If the ASN were
recently transferred wouldn't it have a new registration date of when
the transfer was completed?  This seems to be the case when an IPv4
prefix is transferred.

B. One of the POCs for what I presume is the receiving organization
seems to not have been validated;  I thought organizations with invalid
POCs were prevented from completing various transaction with ARIN
without validating all their POCs?  Why isn't receiving a transfer one
of these transaction?

I want to apologize to the organization involved, my intent is not to
call public attention to them specifically. However, it is difficult to
ask these questions with specific examples without such side-effects.  I
an truly sorry, but I think these are important questions for the
community.  Also, I request that as we discuss this, that we not
directly refer to the organization involved, as I do not believe that
the organization involved is particularly relevant to the discussion.

Also, it occurs to me that the page in question is specific to Section
8.3 transfers, will Section 8.4 transfers be included on this page or a
separate similar page created when they start occurring?  In the case of
8.4 transfers it might be useful to include the other RIR that is either
the source or recipient of the inter-RIR transfer as well as the prefix
involved in the transfer.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952