[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-182 Update Residential Customer Definition to not exclude wireless as Residential Service

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:48:19 EDT 2012

Jimmy,

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/2/12, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes.
>> For some reason, policy treats wires different than no wires. If there is
>> no technical reason for this distinction, lets remove it and say the lower
>> layer technologies are irrelevant.
> [snip]
>
> The current policy doesn't mention wires or any specific technology...
>  As long as your wireless service  is to a fixed location subscriber,
> and you can ensure the  service is for personal use, and only used at
> their place of residence,  then they are a residential customer under
> 2.13

IIRC, ARIN staff referenced wires to the place where a person lives is
the bar to be met to be defined as a residential service.

This was escalated, and came down that this is the policy.

At the end of day, the data services supplied by Verizon Wireless,
AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile USA ...  Are treated with a different set of
rules and definition of service (residential vs not residential) than
Comcast, TW Cable, FiOS, ....  Is there a reason for this difference?
I have not yet seen it.

The point i am trying to make is that there is not a meaningful
difference from IP address policy or technology architectures.  So, my
proposal tries to make that clear.

Why does it matter if i consume the service / use the IP address at my
home or in a park 5 kilometers away?

CB