[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-183 Section 8.4 Transfer enhancement

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Nov 1 10:53:54 EDT 2012

On 10/30/12 15:32 , Martin Hannigan wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>> Section 8.4 is fairly specific that there needs to be a reciprocal policy at
>> the other RIR, if you remember I argued against that, but that is ARIN's
>> policy.
>
> +1
>
>> I'm willing to accept this on to the docket in order to not create a
>> catch-22, and make it clear ARIN is willing to consider this of other RIRs
>> are too.  However, I'm not sure significant effort should be put into it
>> until at least ASN transfers have been proposed at another RIR.
>
> Why bother working on policy if you aren't going to take it seriously?
> That also implies that we don't take registry accuracy seriously FWIW.

I do take this policy seriously and even support it.  But without
reciprocal policy at another RIR this is actually an irrelevant piece of
policy.  So unless there is some sign of another RIR taking up the
issue, I believe the ARIN community has more important and timely issues
to work on.

As a sign of good faith to the other RIRs I'd be willing to take this on
the docket, I don't want to send the message we're not interested, like
I said I support this.   However, without some sign of another RIR
taking up the issue, I couldn't in good faith prioritizes this over
other policy issues.  I'm not saying it can't or won't get worked on,
but that just about everything else should probably take priority over
it, unless there is activity on the issue in another RIR.