[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 16 18:25:47 EDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 6:08 PM, William Herrin wrote:

>>  The upper bound on preemptively assigning addresses to
>> folks holding AS numbers would (over the long-term) enable an additional
>> 65K routes, and doing the same for folks holding IPv4 addresses could
>> easily
>> result in over 2 million unique IPv6 routes (depending on implementation),
>
> Hold on now, ARIN doesn't have 2 million unique organizations all
> holding direct IPv4 assignments or allocations, does it? That smells
> at least an order of magnitude off base. 2 million IPv4 registrations
> I could believe but 2 million unique organizations holding them?

Bill -

  I said _over the long-term_, please think decades.  There is nothing
  to prevent parties from holding multiple IPv4 blocks, and in fact, you
  may have just created an interesting incentive for parties many years
  from today to seek out IPv4 blocks (i.e. entirely for the preemptively
  & non-provider assigned IPv6 prefixes which are associated with them...)

  We're unlikely to see that in the near future, but depending on the
  specifics it could be rather difficult to undo any preemptive IPv6
  assignment scheme and hence giving some consideration to the resulting
  long-term implications would be quite prudent.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO