[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 16 18:08:32 EDT 2012

On 5/16/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> First, an algorithmic assignment (or preemptive assignment for everyone
> with an IPv4 assignment or an AS number, which effectively will end up
> being the same in implementation) becomes a permanently change to the
> IPv6 number resource architecture, i.e. the total space is 100% assigned
> once the policy is implemented, even if no one one actually puts their
> individual assignment into productive use.

Hi John,

For an algorithmic assignment (insert you address/ASN in this spot in
the address), this statement is true. The holder of the source number
is entitled to the destination number, regardless of his use or
relationship with ARIN and all source numbers are represented even if
not assigned.

For a preemptive non-algorithmic assignment (pull a list from the
database on criteria X and assign each resulting record an IPv6 block
in sequence) there is no reason numbers should be lost to non-use. A
process could easily include non-use reclamation criteria.

Arguably it _should_ include non-use reclamation criteria as a
deployment incentive: We'll give you these addresses for free but if
you don't use them by Date we'll take them back and next time you'll
have to pay for them.

> This is significantly
> different than our existing processes that only assign space based
> on actual requests (and the resulting assignments are far more likely
> to put in actual operational use once made based on actual request)

Agreed.

> Secondly, parties receiving assignments often presume that the operator
> community will allow the recipient to interconnect to the Internet using
> their provider-independent assignment; as a result, ARIN encourages the
> community to consider the potential routing implications of any address
> issuance policy.  The upper bound on preemptively assigning addresses to
> folks holding AS numbers would (over the long-term) enable an additional
> 65K routes, and doing the same for folks holding IPv4 addresses could
> easily
> result in over 2 million unique IPv6 routes (depending on implementation),

Hold on now, ARIN doesn't have 2 million unique organizations all
holding direct IPv4 assignments or allocations, does it? That smells
at least an order of magnitude off base. 2 million IPv4 registrations
I could believe but 2 million unique organizations holding them?

Regardless, let's pick a bite-sized starting point: Every
ARIN-assigned AS number which also appears in the public Internet BGP
table. Per Geoff Huston (http://www.potaroo.net/tools/asn32/) that's
no more than 15086 today climbing about what, 50ish per week? Do you
have reason to believe the upper bound on this criteria would exceed
16,000 IPv6 assignments? Aggregable to less than 16,000 routes?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004