[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:39:01 EDT 2012

Telephone number is also not the only option, btw.  The longest IPv4
prefix ARIN allocates is a /24.

Another option is set aside a /8,  under which
every  ARIN  /24 IPv4  allocation is automatically  mapped to a unique global
unicast /32 IPv6 allocation;   that is...   under the /8,  the
assigned /24 IPv4  prefix bits are used to populate  24 bits in the IPv6 prefix.

And if the ARIN IPv4 allocation happened to be a   /20  instead,  that
would mean
that the mapped space has an address size of    /28.

The disadvantage is it requires a  prior address assignment from ARIN.

And extra work to make sure an org id  with multiple  IPv4 allocations can only
have one of them mapped at a time to an IPv6 allocation.

--
-Mysid