[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:22:01 EDT 2012

On 5/14/12, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Ick! I really don't want to have to renumber my IP network every time my
> telephone number changes. I don't know where you live, but, in the US,
> there
> is virtually no such thing as a "permanent" telephone number.

Huh?    Phone numbers are actually owned by the end customer, not the
telco, as long as they maintain phone service, and they are therefore
much more permanent than IP addresses.    You actually own your phone
number,  you don't actually own IP addresses that you are assigned.
 A key difference:  Phone numbers are even portable between providers
and to/from  local cell phone providers, as long as the end user org
maintains phone service,  you can't do the same with PA  address
assignments in IPv4 or IPv6.

The ability to maintain permanent ownership is what makes the phone
number a perfect identifier to leverage for IP address automatic
assignment.     The organization just needs to use some care, and make
sure to pick a phone number, such as their 800#, they already have to
indefinitely maintain  for other business purposes.

Businesses spend large amounts of advertising dollars publishing their
phone numbers  which are used by their customers,  in advert material,
directories, etc;  it would be a pretty big disaster if their number
"changed",  as they would now be losing business.

Organizations'  contact numbers are not like your home phone number
that you can change all the time without a big disadvantage.

--
-JH