[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

Izaac izaac at setec.org
Mon May 14 09:38:20 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 01:30:37PM -0500, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> > their interest to do so on short order.  How many more participants in
> > IPv6 day do you think there would have been if address blocks were just
> > laying around waiting to be deployed by excited network engineers?
>
> Hm...  every 10-digit phone numther in the NANP  can be represented using
> 34 bits.

And every IPv4 block is already represented 1-to-1 in 2002::/16.  We
don't need another goofy mechanism for automatic deployment.

What we need is a mental shift on the part of applicants that they
cannot simply kick the IPv6 deployment can down the road any longer.
Requiring them to fill out the paperwork for a IPv6 allocation
commensurate with their IPv4 allocation request would do this to at
least some small extent by forcing them to think about it.

--