[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:30:43 EDT 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/13/12, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Plan A: Debate, argue, maybe even analyze how significant or
> > insignificant a barrier we're talking about.
> >
> > Plan B: Remove the barrier. Look back later to see whether it had an
> > impact.
>
> I am in favor of B.    Remove all barriers to IPv6 adoption that are
> easy to remove.
>
> Bureaucracy,  application procedures, requirement for signatures,  etc,
> are easy to remove.  They didn't exist with IPv4  until there was an
> exhaustion problem.
>
> And they are an obstacle to IPv6 deployment whose impact is difficult
> or impossible
> to measure.
>
> It is justifiable to take a small chunk of IPv6 address space and do that.
> There are risks involved ---   but  in terms of risk measurement,
> exhaustion of IPv4
> with little/no  IPv6 deployment   is a larger risk.

Sounds like we have an idea for a concrete policy proposal here.  I don't
know if there is a lot of support for completely automatic IPv6 assignments
(and I do know there are concerns about it), but it seems like something
worth discussing at least.

In addition, there may be an ACSP suggestion hiding in here (which I think
has been made before) to create an "IPv6 Easy Button" to allow one-click
assignment of an IPv6 block.  It might be worth reviewing previous
discussion on the topic (
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=arin+ipv6+easy+button is a good place
to start) and see if you can think of a way for ARIN to do it that doesn't
run into the concerns expressed previously...

And feel free to contact me if you want to bounce any ideas off someone
before posting them publicly.

-Scott