[arin-ppml] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (was: Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement)

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:23:57 EDT 2012

On 5/13/12, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
[snip]
> Plan A: Debate, argue, maybe even analyze how significant or
> insignificant a barrier we're talking about.
>
> Plan B: Remove the barrier. Look back later to see whether it had an
> impact.

I am in favor of B.    Remove all barriers to IPv6 adoption that are
easy to remove.

Bureaucracy,  application procedures, requirement for signatures,  etc,
are easy to remove.  They didn't exist with IPv4  until there was an
exhaustion problem.

And they are an obstacle to IPv6 deployment whose impact is difficult
or impossible
to measure.

It is justifiable to take a small chunk of IPv6 address space and do that.
There are risks involved ---   but  in terms of risk measurement,
exhaustion of IPv4
with little/no  IPv6 deployment   is a larger risk.

--
-JH