[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-170 Transfer of Number Resources in case of Bankruptcy

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:31:29 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:

> I like this idea also.  It should be possible to revoke/suspend/quarantine
> the resources and place them in a holding pen for a time to allow the
> acquisitor (?) time to request/defend the acquisition.
>
> The problem I see is that the resource may need to stay in operation during
> the acquisition process to retain value.  For example if a local cable
> company were to go in to bankruptcy and be acquired by one of their debtors
> who wanted to assume operation of the cable system, it would be harmful to
> have the number resources inoperable during the process.

I'm not sure you can revoke what you do not control. Legacy ASN's are on
the same bus as legacy IPv4 assets. We already know that revoking legacy v4
addresses is unlikely in at the very least the bankruptcy circumstance. Why
would legacy ASN's be any different? I believe this thread has demonstrated
that they do in fact have "value".

Best,

-M<