[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-1: Clarifying Requirements for IPv4 Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 9 14:01:09 EDT 2012

On 5/9/12, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
> But now we are discussing a draft policy that clarifies requirements for
> these transfers, which are already policy. So unless it somehow makes
> things worse and not better, then I continue to support it.

Hi Joe,

In fact these transfers are not policy today. According to
https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2011_1.html, draft 2011-1 which
proposes to create the transfers is still held under advisement by the
board. I concede they're likely to adopt it despite the deficiencies.
Assuming they do, I expect to concur with your reasoning here.

As has been pointed out to me in times past, until the board actually
does adopt a policy, follow-ons predicated on adoption of said policy
are premature. 2012-1 has no caveat for inactivation should 2011-1
somehow fail to become policy. Its recommendation to last call is
procedurally independent of that action.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004