[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-1: Clarifying Requirements for IPv4 Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 8 23:40:48 EDT 2012

On 5/8/12, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> So far there has only been one last call comment on this Draft Policy,
> and that was from the author of the associated policy proposal.
> However, I and I'm sure other AC members too, would appreciate any
> additional last call comments the community may have regarding this
> Draft Policy.  Even if that is simply to reaffirm your support or lack
> of support for this Draft Policy.

Hi David,

I'm concerned that qualification of another RIR remains described as
"compatible, needs-based policies" despite ARIN staff's advice that
such a condition means little: any "needs based policy" with or
without verifying utilization and with need projections ranging 50
years or more is deemed compatible because it is needs based.

Has staff ever indicated whether "reciprocal needs-based policies"
also applies to the National Internet Registries in those regions
which operate with NIRs?

I observe that "The conditions on a recipient outside of the ARIN
region will be defined by the policies of the receiving RIR" means
that ARIN registrants competing for addresses offered at market by
other ARIN registrants are placed at a distinct disadvantage with
respect to qualifying for addresses versus registrants in any region
which elects to apply less stringent qualifications for receiving
addresses than ARIN does.

At the moment I oppose the draft policy, but I would reconsider that
position if I have overlooked some other protections against abuse.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004