[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-3: ASN Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 8 20:42:58 EDT 2012

On 5/8/12, Bill Darte <billdarte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>> > What of a situation where 10 of 15 members of the AC are in favor of
>> > sending a proposal to the board and yet the was 59 posts on PPML where
>> > 16
>> > were in favor and 3 opposed...and in the PPM of 139 persons in the
>> > room,
>> 37
>> > were in favor and 13 against.
>> >
>> > What should the AC do?

>> One nice feature of my straw-man-for-discussion above is that it gives
>> the AC relatively clear guidance. 10 doesn't meet the 12 vote
>> threshold to send it to the board. Yet it's well past the threshold
>> for continued discussion and development.

> My point in asking, Bill, was to illustrate that even though the AC fails
> to get the super majority vote you posit, does not mean that the other
> measurable inputs of PPML and PPM could display a majority that the
> community would find compelling and....still, the AC has the duty to do the
> 'right thing'....

Hi Bill,

The draft you describe starts with 16% opposition on the list,
degrades to 26% opposition by the time it reaches the meeting and
exhibits 33% opposition during the AC's subsequent vote. That's a
compelling pattern all right: whatever the adjustments or issues were,
they moved the draft steadily away from consensus.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004