[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-3: ASN Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 8 10:09:46 EDT 2012

On 5/8/12, Bill Darte <billdarte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>> > Agreed. One of the reasons I try to encourage participation by the
>> broadest
>> > possible community.
>>

>> Come to think of it, I wonder if this doesn't reflect a deficiency in
>> the PDP itself.
>>
>> We talk and talk about the wonder of community consensus policy, but
>> consensus is a progression of dissonant ideas into a coherent plan
>> with mass appeal. No such progression is present in the PDP... from
>> first to last it's a majority vote.
>>
>> Perhaps it shouldn't be. Maybe instead:
>>
>> 4 affirmatives accept a proposal onto the docket and move it to formal
>> discussion
>> 8 affirmatives move a discussed proposal to last call
>> 12 affirmatives send a called proposal to the board.
>>

> What of a situation where 10 of 15 members of the AC are in favor of
> sending a proposal to the board and yet the was 59 posts on PPML where 16
> were in favor and 3 opposed...and in the PPM of 139 persons in the room, 37
> were in favor and 13 against.
>
> What should the AC do?
>
> If your answer is....it depends, then that is the right answer and the AC
> is elected to do so....IMO.

Hi Bill,

One nice feature of my straw-man-for-discussion above is that it gives
the AC relatively clear guidance. 10 doesn't meet the 12 vote
threshold to send it to the board. Yet it's well past the threshold
for continued discussion and development.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004