[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-3: ASN Transfers - Last Call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon May 7 21:42:54 EDT 2012

On 5/7/12, Bill Darte <billdarte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> I cast too wide a net when I disparaged the entire AC for incautiously
>> pushing past dissent. Fact is several of the folks on the AC have been
>> doing their level headed best to be broadly inclusive. By doing things
>> like voting to keep the instant proposal in discussion due to the
>> significant dissent. To them I tip my hat. Sadly you're not a voting
>> majority. But keep trying; it's worth the fight.
>
> Sadly, I believe you identify support for your point of view as a
> qualification for being on the AC.

Bill,

If by "my point of view" you mean my views on whether a policy should
or shouldn't pass, this very discussion gives the lie to such a
notion. I think the proposed AS transfer policy is A-OK and would like
to see it or a comparable proposal become policy. And I have said so.
Yet I argue against the last call on the grounds that too much dissent
remains.

If by "my point of view" you mean my views on the lengths to which an
AC member should enthusiastically go to draw dissenters into a
consensus before sending a policy draft to the board, you're darn
right I consider it a qualification for being on the AC. And by that
standard too few of you are well qualified.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004