[arin-ppml] ARIN-2012-3: ASN Transfers - Last Call

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri May 4 15:20:05 EDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 4:45 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM, John Santos <JOHN at egh.com> wrote:
>> No one has presented *any* technical justification for this proposal.
>>
>> Opposed.
>
> On the one hand, I support the proposal. Whether or not there is a
> reason to allow something is not the appropriate standard here. If we
> can't show good cause why something should not be allowed then it
> should be. I mean seriously, God forbid someone blows their nose
> without first explaining to us why they want to.

I think that Tom has done a rather eloquent job of expressing at least one reason not to allow this.

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Alexander, Daniel
> <Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
>> If I borrow some wording from the proposed PDP, when the AC has to
>> determine consensus we have to determine whether the proposed change has
>> substantially more support than opposition in the community active in the
>> discussion. (56 PPML posts: 6 for, 3 against)(106 people in the room of
>> the Public Policy Meeting: 27 for, 11 against) We also have to consider
>> that the specific concerns expressed have been considered. This last part
>> is one of the reasons I voted against this proposal.
>
> On the other hand, the AC paying attention to and _respecting_
> minority dissent within the community is long overdue. I don't
> understand the dissent on this one. But since it exists, what's rush
> to get the policy on the books? Let's talk about it some more first.

As part of that dissent, and as a frequent dissenter in AC decisions, I cannot
abide your characterization of the AC here.

I think the AC goes to great lengths to consider the dissenting minority
opinion in ARIN policy debates. I agree that the AC does a relatively poor
job of documenting that they did so in most cases.

I cannot disclose details, but, I can assure you that AC meetings are not
a rubber stamp process and that there is often spirited debate amongst
us covering all sides prior to taking action on policy proposals.

I do not believe that any AC actions have been the result of any form of
bad faith or failure to represent the interests of the community.

Owen