[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 4 10:24:20 EDT 2012

On 5/4/12, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>    In lieu of asking for customer reassignments data to support claimed
>    utilization of an address block, what information do you propose that
>    ARIN accept?

Hi John,

Proof of infrastructure? You can check whether or not equipment is in
place with ordinary ratios for the claim.

Proof of traffic? You can spot-check packet patterns to see if they're
consistent with real users versus careless assignment.

But let me turn the question around: ARIN staff have been doing this
for quite a while. How would staff handle the hospital as ISP scenario
I posited? HIIPA says you don't get to look at the user data. It's the
law. So what would data would staff seek for their audit instead?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004