[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 3 22:36:07 EDT 2012

On May 3, 2012, at 9:56 PM, Blecker, Christoph wrote:

> My interpretation of this proposal is not removing the ability of ARIN to require details on customers with less than 8 addresses, but more moving it to a last resort.
>
> A couple questions:
> - Is this how ARIN staff would interpret this proposal?

Staff review is underway now.  At first glance, it appears that the proposal
is not a policy change for management of number resources but a suggestion
for a specific portion of the request verification process.

> - How does this differ from right now? I would suspect that digging into this detail level would be only happen today, if other reasonable methods of verification were exhausted.

If the utilization of an address block is predicated upon these customer
assignments, then we are likely to ask for this information in the end.

> - Is this what the author intended, or was it meant to stop this practice
> all together? Much of the discussion seems to be around completely removing
> the ability of ARIN to ask into this level of detail, however that's not how
> I interpret what was written.

I believe the author intended to discourage ARIN from requesting such information
except as the last resort, but unless ARIN can accept counts of customer assignments
as valid without further verification, it may not result in any meaningful change
for many requests (those where the utilization is based on customer assignments)

I hope this helps, and thanks for your message!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN