[arin-ppml] Clarify /29 assignment identification requirement

paul vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu May 3 15:30:04 EDT 2012

On 5/3/2012 2:38 AM, Dmitry Burkov wrote:
> Even today we have all necessary info to identify anyone on the net

no. perhaps in russia this is true, but in the countries of the arin
region this is not true.

>  = the isuue is only should be concentarated or not?

that issue does not arise, because the information is not available in
any form. then, speaking hypothetically:

>> as a child of the cold war, i know well the dangers of superconcentrated
>> power. however, i am not willing to trade away accountability to get
>> avoidance of concentration of power. instead i propose that the
>> community formulate reasonable rules that balance the rights of
>> registrants with the rights of the rest of the community, and that the
>> community maintain vigilant control of the instruments they create
>> (whether RIR's or governments or armies or police forces) to prevent
>> abuses of any necessarily concentrated power.
> it is now more the issue of cost of operations and legal risks... sorry - but I think that it should not be rirs responsibility as we have no direct en user contracts

the lack of end user contracts does not come into it. as a policy
matter, arin's contracted parties can be required by community-driven
policy to keep accurate records as to their suballocations, to make
those records openly available for noncommercial purposes, and to pass
that restriction onward to any sub-suballocations and so forth.

i don't see how that creates the danger you're describing or any subset
thereof.

and i don't see anyone other than the RIRs who could do it.

and i don't see any way to continue the internet's prior growth curve
without this.

your move.

paul