[arin-ppml] 4-Byte ASN's in the ARIN region...

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:43:53 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:48 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
[snip]
> You are suggesting something you believe to be true. I am stating what I
> have observed time and time again. Operators see no value in supporting
> 4-byte ASNs, regardless of what you want to believe. Therefore your proposal
> to penalize the customer is aimed at the wrong place.  It would hurt the
> customer, not the operator.

At this point all ASNs are 4-byte ASNs.

I see no value in allowing any operator to refuse to peer with an ASN
that has non-zero
bits in multiple octets.

The few who don't must see value immediately, when their business demands
they support 4-byte ASNs due to having customer(s) with a 4-byte ASN,
a signed contract,  and no 2-byte ASN available.

--
-JH