[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-3: ASN Transfers

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Thu Mar 15 19:40:38 EDT 2012

Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

>> From a marketing standpoint, there seems to be an understanding that
> lower numbered AS means better established carrier. Those looking to
> offer network services may wish to acquire older networks and merge
> into the lower numbered AS. We are AS32421, and a customer of ours was
> just issued a 4 digit ASN. I'd be willing to trade for aesthetic
> reasons ;)
>
> This is the only reason I can think of.
>
> Thanks,

Given the coming exhaustion of 2byte ASN, and the difficulties with
4bytes, given my druthers I would much rather get one on the transfer
market for a reasonable price so that I can use the nice community
attribute layout and keep all my old gear, have zero inter-operation
concerns, and appear to be an older established network.

Yes, I am one of those guys who try to ensure those whom I consult for
and advise get a 2byte while they still can. Nobody has complained that
they wanted the 4byte instead.

Or suppose I am transferring addresses and I want the routing gear along
with it, but this is not quite an M&A or structuring it as one has its
own disadvantages.

Or I was your customer and you has an extra one and I used it for all
this time and I would like it to outlive our relationship and I dont
want to redo all my stuff.

I support directed transfers of all resources. Picking and choosing is
not quite right, even if it might be more prudent, where there to be no
identified benefits.

Support.

Joe