[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2012-4: Return to 12 Month Supply and Reset Trigger to /8 in Free Pool

Morizot Timothy S Timothy.S.Morizot at irs.gov
Thu Mar 15 00:05:26 EDT 2012

I'm very much in favor of a policy change that will speed ARIN runout to bring it more in line with APNIC and RIPE, but with the IPv4 resources going to those who are actively using them.

I remember the world of scarcity and silos Geoff Huston recalls and am concerned that an extended period of time with ARIN significantly out of step with the other two large RIRs could easily lead to some of the scenarios he describes. We must make the transition to IPv6 or end up with a very different Internet than the one to which we've become accustomed. And the longer ARIN draws out its runout, the greater the risk to that goal.

As we've been seeing on arin-discuss today, an attitude that IPv6 can be put off and a lack of urgency about transition seems to continue to pervade our region. If I saw a long-term view driving IPv6 adoption in our region, I would think it would be a good thing to slow our rate of IPv4 consumption to make our transition less painful. But I don't see that. Instead, I just see organizations continuing to put it off until they are forced to act.

Scott