[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-175 Delete Section 8.2

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Jun 20 18:47:14 EDT 2012

On 6/20/12 17:38 CDT, Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:19 AM, Astrodog wrote:
>> I'm curious as to the rest of the community's thoughts on this
>> problem. The way 8.2 is written currently, it seems to provide a
>> relatively easy "end run" around meeting the 8.3 requirements, and
>> without ARIN spending quite a bit of time figuring out exactly what it
>> is someone bought, I'm not sure there's a way to tell if an equipment
>> sale was performed to enable an 8.2 transfer or if it's just part of
>> transferring an ongoing operation.
>
> I believe that John's comments about court actions on sales and
> transfers provide some guidance on this. I suspect that even if we pass
> this policy it may not pass muster with the courts.
>
> It's a tricky business. I've seen sales of all customers without the
> equipment. The purchaser came in and installed their own preferred
> platform in place at the premises. The selling corporation didn't exist
> once the transaction was complete.  Most courts would rule that the
> relevant assets were transferred.
>
> I would like to hear from John, but I suspect this may be a matter where
> it's best to leave this as an operational situation for the ARIN staff
> to deal with. I don't think we can ratchet this down in policy without
> just making their job harder.

Yes, we have looked at this a few times in the past.

But what Harrison is suggesting is to go to a more simplified transfer
process make everything 8.3.  But, this mean liberalizing IPv6
transfers.  Logically we could make 8.2 only apply to IPv6, but not sure
what that gets us.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952