[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 01:07:58 EDT 2012

On 6/19/12, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> See Randy Bush's 1997 presentation to FNCAC (Federal Networking
> Council Advisory Committee) seeking approval for ARIN. Pay close
> attention to the last bullet on slide 9.
> http://archive.psg.com/970414.fncac.pdf
> That's what folks were promised John.

And resource policies hardly ever effect existing allocations, whether
legacy or not; I think you would be very hard pressed to find any
policy change imposing a new substantive requirement on an existing
resource holder  at the time of the policy change, who is not
requesting more resources or changes to existing resources.   Most
policy changes are about resource changes, delegations, new
allocations, transfers, and maintaining proper contact information.

However, it is still ARIN defined policy that the resources are subject to.
And one statement in a slide is not a  definitive promise that the
precise policy statement for existing allocations are set in stone
until the end of time.

Especially, when the discussion comes to matters such  as the legacy
resource holder
wishing to make changes to their network,  such as   assigning part of
it to a customer,
transferring / changing the organization administering parts of it.

Or other things that were not promised,  and not even offered by the
legacy registry,
so these things were not actually allowable,  prior to ARIN being
created, and establishing
policies that allowed such a thing as a delegation or a transfer.

--
-JH