[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jun 20 00:04:14 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:46 PM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:39 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> For all subsequent registrations, John. Which is not contradicted by
>> any of the documentation, early or late and is consistent with the
>> totality of information rendered to FNCAC in support of the process
>> and is consistent with ARIN's actual behavior these past 15 years.
>
> Strange.  We apply new policies to the entirety of the registry
> including the Bulk Whois policy, the abuse contact policy,
> residential privacy policy, and others.

Bulk whois (or any alternate or additional kind of whois) is a
business process not a policy. It may have come about due to policy
but it's a really long stretch to call it a change in legacy address
policy.

Ditto making a copy of the technical contact and labelling it "abuse
contact." It's not as if you required the legacy registrants to submit
an abuse contact.

Residential privacy isn't even relevant to legacy registrations where
there are no SWIP reporting requirements whatsoever and never were.

Next?

> You are welcome to
> believe that these (and any other policies) should only apply
> to subsequent registrations, but I just have to remind the
> folks on the PPML list that they should not feel constrained
> by your particular belief system.

Yup, I'm just a jerk with a keyboard. But they probably should take
notice of what the judge said in Nortel when he ruled that they had
the intrinsic right to use and exclude others' use of their legacy
addresses on the Internet independent of ARIN and its registration
records. A ruling which was not reversed despite ARIN's intervention.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004