[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 22:15:40 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Lee Dilkie <lee at dilkie.com> wrote:

> On 6/19/2012 9:18 PM, John Curran wrote:
>
> On Jun 19, 2012, at 9:08 PM, Lee Dilkie <lee at dilkie.com> wrote:
>
> Can I ask you a question.... If the ARIN community decided that comcast
> should no longer own any IP numbers, and voted for that... Can ARIN go ahead
> and reclaim all of comcast's netblocks? ARIN does have that authority, does
> it not?
>
> Lee -
>
> That actually would not be a valid policy, as fails the requirements for
> fair and impartial management as specified in the Policy Development
> Process.
>
> FYI,
> /John
>

> Yes John... it's a nasty thing to do... but that isn't what I asked...
> *could* ARIN decide, on a vote by members, to revoke an assignment for
> comcast (for instance).

IIUC, ARIN "members" do not vote on policy. It is members of the ARIN
community that decide on policy
using consensus (although we use a 'vote' of sorts as an indicator of
support for or against a policy proposal).

ARIN "Members" (those who pay fees for subscription or membership
fees) are eligible to vote in various electoral processes:

https://www.arin.net/participate/membership/overview.html

"MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS
ARIN provides the following membership benefits designed to encourage
participation. ARIN Members may:
Vote in ARIN Elections - each ARIN Member is entitled to vote through
its Designated Member Representative (DMR).
Nominate individuals to the Board of Trustees and Advisory Council.
Attend ARIN's biannual Public Policy and Members Meetings with no
registration fees for up to two representatives.
Participate in the ARIN Discuss Mailing List.
Take advantage of future membership benefits offered."

> Does ARIN have that authority?

According to the above, the answer seems to be "no".

--
Cheers,

McTim