[arin-ppml] [arin-announce] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jun 19 18:19:34 EDT 2012

On Jun 19, 2012, at 5:12 PM, Morizot Timothy S wrote:

> It's likely the governmental and educational legacy users have a different perspective, but I don't personally understand what's objectionable in the LRSA. We didn't find anything in it objectionable and signed it primarily to make the waiver John mentions explicit rather than implicit. And before anything gets signed here, a lot of people in procurement and other areas, often including legal assessment, have to review it to make sure we are not obligating the agency to anything we shouldn't be.

I'm glad that you found the LRSA to be useful and contain the
rights that you expected; it's been quite a bit of time and
effort to get it right.

If your perspective was that the number resources should not
be subject to any policy, i.e. that they are entirely a form
of personal property to do as you please, then you might have
a different perspective on the usefulness of the LRSA.

As it turns out, how the number resources are used can have
real implications for service providers, including in areas
such as network operations and routing, so they are instead
resources which are subject to community-based policies set
via an open and transparent participation process.

There is nothing wrong with policy that favors one particular
type of resource holder (if the community feels that is the
right outcome) and that includes creation favorable policies
for those with legacy resources if so desired.  ARIN staff will
implement such policies if/when they are developed and adopted.

The area of fundamental disagreement is whether legacy holders
operate in a policy free zone (and that inherently is a matter
that can not be truly resolved by the development of number
resource policy which states such; the only dispositive path
is the legal route.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran