[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-174 Policies Apply to All Resources in the Registry

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jun 19 17:01:51 EDT 2012

Sure, why not.
Given that ARIN has no contract with legacy holders, it is perfectly reasonable to conclude that ARIN's authority over them is limited.
If ARIN's authority is under question, you do not create legitimate authority simply by asserting it. Yet this proposed policy makes a unilateral and arbitrary assertion of authority over resources held by people over which ARIN has no contractual or other legal authority. You may as well assert that ARIN has authority over my house, ISP routing policies, website content,  whatever.

Moreover, it is a policy that seeks to resolve a major conflict among stakeholders by one side seeking complete dominance over another, rather than by seeking mutual agreement and benefit. I am really surprised that such a thing came from David Farmer, who seemed to be a nice and reasonable person the last time I talked to him. I would appeal to him to withdraw it, as no useful or enlightening exchanges will ensue from discussing it.

The proposed policy would be laughable if it were not so akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater. Whatever your opinion on the status of legacy resources, this is not the way to resolve the conflicts around those issues. We all know that there is an issue here and we all know, or should know, that it cannot be resolved by one party simply asserting that they are the "king of the world"

--MM