[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 17:47:47 EDT 2012

Martin/All,

In light of your comments below from the "Definition of a legacy resource"
thread, and the discussion we've seen since posting version 2.0 of this
proposal, I thought I'd throw out some language that might address some of
the concerns while still defining legacy addresses appropriately.  See
below.

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Once a holder signs the LRSA, that legacy status is now
> historical only. Technically speaking, they are not differentiated any
> longer. It seems to make sense that the definition be clear in that
> respect so using "contracted" as the delineation would appear to make
> sense.
>
> Best,
>
> -M<

Policy statement (section 1 is unchanged from ARIN-prop-172 version 2.0;
section 2 is rewritten):

A legacy resource is an IPv4 address or Autonomous System Number that
satisfies both of the following two criteria:

(1)     it was issued to an entity (other than a Regional Internet
Registry) or individual (the "original legacy holder") prior to ARIN's
inception on Dec 22, 1997 either by an organization authorized by the
United States to perform the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
("IANA") functions or an Internet Registry; and

(2)    has not been returned or transferred by the original legacy holder
(or its legal successor), has not been reclaimed or revoked by the issuing
Registry or its legal successor, and is not covered by a Registration
Services Agreement (other than a Legacy Registration Services Agreement).

Thoughts?

-Scott