[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-171 Section 8.4 Modifications: ASNandlegacy resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jun 11 16:05:39 EDT 2012

On Jun 11, 2012, at 1:47 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding. I am not a lawyer, and would appreciate some help from ARIN's counsel on some elements of the law which escape me.
>
> Let’s take this hypothetical:

Mike -

 We don't engage our counsel in hypothetical situations or generating
 advisory opinions as they are seldom representative of the real world
 and can easily lead to being misconstrued.  In addition, there is very
 real cost management aspect to be considered.

 If you wish to propose a policy, a review of ARIN's legal situation
 that will result from adoption will occur during the staff and legal
 review process.

 You might also want to review this article written by Steve Ryan,
 ARIN's counsel, as it addresses some of the questions regarding
 how ARIN views address holders rights to number resources -

  http://www.mwe.com/info/pubs/internetprotocolnumbers0212.pdf

 Several of your questions are predicated on contrary views and it
 is not ARIN's role to postulate on their merits (or lack thereof.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO