[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-171 Section 8.4 Modifications: ASNandlegacy resources

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Mon Jun 11 13:47:20 EDT 2012

>Mike -

>  Please explain - what information is being sought from ARIN's Counsel?

>Thanks!
>/John

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am not a lawyer, and would appreciate
some help from ARIN's counsel on some elements of the law which escape me.

Let’s take this hypothetical:

Legacy holder A, who has not signed the LRSA, sells his address rights to B,
who requests ARIN to change Whois without a needs test.
ARIN refuses and instead begins the process of revoking and re-assigning
those addresses.
What is ARIN's exposure to a claim of tortuous interference with the
contract between parties A and B ?

Or this:

Legacy holder A, who has not signed the LRSA, claims the right to sell his
ownership rights to anybody in the world, despite being a non-functional,
bankrupt entity.  Can ARIN rescind his addresses?
Let's say in this hypothetical that the business has not been operating for
10 years. Could the fact that ARIN did not pursue it's claim for that length
of time afford legacy holder an affirmative defense of laches?

Or this:

Legacy holder A, who has not signed the LRSA, asserts that he has property
rights in the addresses, claiming that the original allocation by ARIN's
predecessors came without contractual restrictions on this bundle of rights:

1.the right to use the good
2.the right to earn income from the good
3.the right to transfer the good to others
4.the right to enforcement of property rights

He claims he has used the addresses.
He claims to have earned income from the addresses.
He claims that he has transferred the addresses to others via an asset sale
contract.
He claims that that asset sale contract is enforced by the State, as all
contracts are.

How strong is his claim to the property rights?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.
It may be that I am asking the wrong questions, so any assistance in correct
legal phraseology would be appreciated.
It may be that the discussion in this thread has moved on, so  please change
the subject line if you think appropriate.

Regards,

Mike