[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jun 8 17:19:22 EDT 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 4:27 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> You are asking what will happen if ARIN chooses to play chicken by trying to use its control of the authoritative registry to impose its policies on legacy holders.

Milton -

Your phrasing is intentionally inflammatory, and this is not
your blog page but the Public Policy Mailing List.

ARIN maintains all of the resources in the region per the policy set by the community.   We were founded for
exactly that purpose.  To date, there has not been
any consensus on more relaxed policies for legacy
address holders, although reduced fees have been
provided.

We do have a specified transfer policy that many legacy
holders are now using, and I expect do this to increase
going forward for those legacy holders who want to work
with the community.

Legacy address holders do want the community to
recognize that they have legitimate rights (even if
only so they may transfer their resources for $$$),
but then some quickly deny that working with that
same community is necessary.

It's certainly an interesting approach, and likely to be
as succesful as attempts to get ARIN to change the
registry contrary to community policy.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran