[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:02:54 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM, John Springer <springer at inlandnet.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Kevin Kargel wrote:
>

>> How do we know that there is a majority if they are silent?  If they do
>> not
>> participate it is just as if not more likely that the silent parties are
>> silent explicitly because they are happy with the way things are going.
>>

> Bingo. If the suggestion is that we need 3000+ "me too"s or +1s, I don't
> feel that that would be an advance. I estimate when opposition to or support
> for a proposal is sufficient (IMO) to make my piping up superfluous and then
> keep quiet. That does not mean that I do not have an opinion or the right to
> one, only that it is not necessary to express it.

It could also be indicative of other factors that  influence a
conscious decision not to participate.  Many of the participants here,
even posting under their own names, are likely not able to comment on
legal matters. It's clear that 172 touches upon legal as well as
policy issues.

There is a fear factor to consider. Companies that support a
legitimized market also need to continue to deal with ARIN. It could
be detrimental to publicly come out in support of such proposals for
fear of retaliation. Whether that is a justified fear or not is
irrelevant.

I support Kevin in wanting visible support, but I don't think that's
realistic under the current circumstances and that using some common
sense with respect to "consensus" on these particularly interesting
and complex issues is justified and welcomed.

Best,

-M<