[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jun 7 12:15:44 EDT 2012

On Jun 7, 2012, at 11:15 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> We don't need to debate whether consensus exists or not.
> When it comes to legacy resources, community consensus is irrelevant. A company without a contract has no legal or any other kind of obligation to ARIN consensus processes.

Milton -

   You are incorrect.  ARIN has to manage and allocate the number resources
   in the region (including legacy addresses) based on policies developed
   by the community.  It is an essential part of why ARIN was founded[1].

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN

[1] "Creation of ARIN will give the users of IP numbers (mostly Internet
     service providers, corporations and other large institutions) a voice
     in the policies by which they are managed and allocated within the
     North American region."
     <http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=102819>