[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-172 Additional definition for NRPM Section 2 - Legacy Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 6 01:23:07 EDT 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 5:32 PM, David Farmer wrote:

> This seem to most directly speak to the relationship between ARIN and the resource registration, the registration was "handed down" to ARIN from its predecessor registries (Postel's notebook :), SRI, InterNIC, Etc...) by the US Gov (through NFS with the assent of several other fed agencies and oversight bodies).  When ARIN was created there wasn't any change in the relationship between the resource holder and the resource.  That relationship was established when the assignment was made.  Also, if the resource holder still exists and is using the resource, then I contend, the relationship between the resource and resource holder has never changed and never will change.

You would be asserting incorrectly, as the address block was issued to
the holder subject to policies which both can effect the relationship
and can change over time.

Registrants had to accept policy changes from the USG (such as the change
of the registry itself from one party to another and addition of fields)
as well as change to registry policies as set by the community (such as
RFC 2050, the bulk Whois policy, etc.)

FYI,
/John

John Curran