[arin-ppml] Residential Customers

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 14:58:10 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Chris Grundemann
> <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> If ARIN interprets the policy differently, we can of course make the policy
> more explicit.

> >> Yes, ARIN has informed me that since the service is not to PHYSICAL
> >> residence, it does not apply.
> >>
> >> This seemed strange to me, not sure why IP policy would apply to OSI
> >> Layer 1 media type.  Is an official wording change required or just
> >> guidance to the ARIN staff?
> >
> > In what context did they say this? What specifically are we talking
> > about (in what way do you need "residential customer" to apply)?
> >

> Very specifically, i was told that i must show specifically 80% active
> usage of all assigned addresses.
>
> I would like to move the bar from 80% demonstrated active use to 50%
> use as defined here in NRPM 4.2.3.7.3.1.
>
> The technical issues that, i assume, prompted policy in  NRPM
> 4.2.3.7.3.1.  applies the same way to mobile networks as it does to
> landline, thus the policy should apply the same when requesting
> resources and justifying use.

I think the simplest change that would accomplish this would be to add "or
mobile" to the second paragraph of 4.2.3.7.3.1.  It would then read:

Using SWIP or RWhois, residential or mobile access ISPs must show that they
have reassigned at least 80% of their current address space, with a 50 to
80% utilization rate, in order to request additional addresses.

I don't think the first paragraph needs to change, because the "Initial
allocations are based on total number of homes that could purchase the
service in a given market area" text would not seem to apply to mobile
technology.

Is that what you're looking for?  If so, feel free to submit it as a
proposal to policy at arin.net.  I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

I'm sure such a change will prompt lots of discussion, and I think a
concrete policy proposal will help frame that discussion.

-Scott