[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-173 Revisions to M&A TransferRequirements(Updated Version)

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Jul 6 20:40:47 EDT 2012

On 7/6/12 10:23 CDT, John Curran wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:05 AM, hostmaster at gfoster.com wrote:
>> John Curran writes:
>>> We do require proper legal documentation in order to process a name
>>> change.
>> What the heck is "proper legal documentation?"
>> I am a one-person consulting firm with a legacy assignment circa
>> 1993, why can't I call my business whatever I want, or several names
>> for that matter?
> Depending on your country (and/or state) you likely can call your
> business whatever you want (referred to in the US as "D/B/A", or
> "Doing Business As".)  However, unless you want resources listed
> to parties simply "doing business as" a name then hijacked by a
> different firm "doing business as" the same name, it's necessary
> to have actually legal entities associated with number resources.
> If the community would like to change this, it would be trivial
> to do, but there could easily be significant consequences to be
> considered.

I'll add that your D/B/A can be changed with a Org ID template just like 
your address.  But you can't change the legal name without proper legal 
documentation, this is a good thing if you ask me.  But, in the case of 
the person asking the question it sounds like I the legal name is his 
name.  But that's conjecture on my part.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota	
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952

More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list