[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-173 Revisions to M&A TransferRequirements(Updated Version)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jul 6 11:23:32 EDT 2012

On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:05 AM, hostmaster at gfoster.com wrote:

> John Curran writes:
>
>> We do require proper legal documentation in order to process a name
>> change.
>
> What the heck is "proper legal documentation?"
>
> I am a one-person consulting firm with a legacy assignment circa
> 1993, why can't I call my business whatever I want, or several names
> for that matter?

Depending on your country (and/or state) you likely can call your
business whatever you want (referred to in the US as "D/B/A", or
"Doing Business As".)  However, unless you want resources listed
to parties simply "doing business as" a name then hijacked by a
different firm "doing business as" the same name, it's necessary
to have actually legal entities associated with number resources.

If the community would like to change this, it would be trivial
to do, but there could easily be significant consequences to be
considered.

FYI,
/John

John Curran