[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-176 Increase Needs-Based Justification to 60 months on 8.3 Specified Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 3 20:45:16 EDT 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 2:44 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Sorry, Owen,
> I wasn't aware that you were calling for a statistical comparison of the 1 year vs. 2 year, I only saw Jimmy Hess's message, which seemed to be calling for "substantial statistical evidence" favoring 5 years before making a change. It was unclear to me how one could ever get statistical evidence about a 5 year period.

I posted the first call for evidence and suggested that we needed evidence that 5 years would not be harmful before considering such an extreme change.

I would also posit that experience with the 2 year period and some evidence that going to 3 years would provide a benefit without causing undue harm is also necessary.

> How long was 1-year in effect? How long has 2-year been in effect? Based on my rough understanding of the periods, it would seem that increasing the time horizon has already greatly increased the pace and number of transfers. However, there are confounding variables, namely the growing scarcity of IPv4 as time passes and the depletion of the free pool.

One year was in effect as the free-pool allocation period for many years and served us well. It was the original metric for transfers enacted in the 2009-1 draft policy when it was activated, so I would say somewhere between 2 and 3 years.

Two years went into effect very recently (the very latest revision of the NRPM).

To the best of my knowledge, there have not been any transfers yet since the change, so I'm not sure how you could make such a claim about the increased pace.

> Regarding the experiment with no needs assessment at all, I guess if you view an experiment with the absence of needs assessment as equivalent to releasing hordes of murderers and rapists into the community unfettered you would indeed be opposed to such an experiment. My point was simply that the difference between a 5 year horizon and no needs assessment at all might be small enough that we needn't bother with a specified time period, if we were actually willing to conduct an "experiment."

I would agree that 5 years bears little difference from eliminating needs basis. The community has resoundingly and repeatedly said no to eliminating needs basis, so I would suggest that on that basis you have just made a very good argument against a 5-year time frame as well.

Owen