[arin-ppml] 2011-1 not adopted Was:Re: Board Adopts Draft Policies

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jan 25 00:23:25 EST 2012

On Jan 24, 2012, at 7:57 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> I've seen too many proposals die at the AC without a fair hearing by
> the wider community. Too many more have gotten a hatchet job, like
> prop 151. Give me reason to believe another proposal will not only
> make it to a PPM, but make it reasonably intact. Do that and a
> proposal you shall have.

Bill -

  The Advisory Council is elected for the purpose of developing
  sound Internet number resource policy.  That's their actual
  purpose in the policy development process, and while that does
  generally have them nurturing policy proposals to a fruitful
  result, it can also at times require that proposals be edited,
  merged, or dropped from further consideration.  Their role
  holding the editors pen in the policy process has definitely
  improved the quality of the number resource policy in the region.

  The Policy Development process contains a protective mechanism
  in the form of a petition process which allows 10 people to stay
  a final action of the Advisory Council with respect a policy
  proposal or draft policy. Given that each policy proposal is
  posted to PPML, obtaining an expression of support from just
  10 folks is a rather low threshold for any policy proposal that
  the community thinks merits further consideration than provided
  by the Advisory Council.

>> From: Daniel Alexander

>> Can we get back to working on policy?
>
> Love to. Make it possible.

  As you are aware, we're about to release a new proposed PDP for
  community comment.  Some of the changes therein are the direct
  result of input from you on this list, but I'd also welcome any
  and all further suggestions for improvement to the policy
  development process.

  While many policy proposals go relatively unchanged to the public
  policy meeting as draft policies, the Advisory Council developing
  a set of draft policies for PPM discussion is necessary if we are
  to have sufficient time for adequate discussion by the community.
  If somehow the 15 elected AC members seem to get this task wrong,
  it takes but 10 people in the community to get your proposal to
  PPM discussion and reasonably intact in the process.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO