[arin-ppml] 2011-1 not adopted Was:Re: Board Adopts Draft Policies

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jan 24 20:57:21 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> These kind of accusations are disappointing. Bill, you are currently
> working on an alternative and your input has been very helpful. Prop-151
> is a rewrite and directly incorporates some of your feedback. It is also
> an example of compromise between the author, the community, and the AC.

Dan,

If you mean an example of the AC hijacking a proposal to achieve an
end radically different than the one envisioned by the original
author, you're right. The original didn't address inter-region
transfers at all and certainly wasn't concerned with balancing
cross-rir fairness issues.

I don't mean to be harsh about it but Mike's ideas for transfers have
independent merit from the issues raised in 2011-1. Conflating them
serves to prevent both sets of issues from getting a fair hearing.

> If we need
> another proposed approach that is different from prop-151, than lets get
> it submitted.

I've seen too many proposals die at the AC without a fair hearing by
the wider community. Too many more have gotten a hatchet job, like
prop 151. Give me reason to believe another proposal will not only
make it to a PPM, but make it reasonably intact. Do that and a
proposal you shall have.

> Can we get back to working on policy?

Love to. Make it possible.

Regards,